Tuesday 4 October 2016

PRIMARY SCHOOL PUPIL’S EYE DEFECT DAMPENS MOOD DURING INDEPENDENCE DAY EVENT


By Enwono-Abasi Elisha.

Amidst the euphoria of Nigeria's Independence celebration in Nsit Ibom Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State, a boy stood out from more than 3,000 other school children who took part in the event.
His sight lulled the music. It seemed the Master of Ceremony ordered for silence as his sight slowed all movements.

The beatings of the drums and the rhythm of the quick-match faded. Camera ceased to capture images and pen ceased to flow. 


Faces laced with smile recoiled into sadness as Gospel Ime Henry amongst other pupils matched past the Chairman of Nsit Ibom Local Government Area, Hon. Victor Umandak who took Salute at the Council Sports Stadium, Afaha Offiong during the Independence celebration on Saturday.


Gospel Ime Henry's appearance during the match pass did not only evoke emotions but mothers in the crowd who sighted him were not able to control their feelings as they impulsively searched their handbags for handkerchief to catch tear-drops building-up in their tear-gland at a quicker rate. Other pupils folded their hands in sympathy of the boy's sight as he matched past.


To mothers, they quickly empathized the agony which the child and the parents are going through since when Gospel was a year old.
When interviewed, Gospel Ime Henry said according to his parents, the sickness started as swelling in the eye from when he was a year old.


Now, 12 years old, the lad lamented that his parents have sought for solution medically, natively and even spiritually, but to no avail. 
He sadly said that the last medical attention the parents sought for him was at Teaching Hospital Calabar where diagnosis was carried out and treatment given which defied healing. 


The name of the sickness could not be ascertained as it could be described as unusual growth in the eye region, causing swelling of the eye-ball and the eye-lid. The disproportionate size of the eye-ball outgrows the eye-lid, keeping it constantly open, dripping water continually.


Being not deterred by his condition, Gospel who wished to be like other children, braced the challenge as he joined in the Independence match-pass which his school took 3rd position in the Primary category. Who knows, it could be the deep passion of Gospel for education and his dire need to overcome his health challenge which inspired him and other children to put up their best in the outing.


The Primary 5 pupil of St Andrew African Church School, Edebom II when interviewed recounted his story as a very painful one right from when he was a year old. 


According to him, he makes use of the left-eye for sight, though partly, as he can not see at a long distance with the eye; while the right-eye is completely covered.


Gospel says he has difficulty in reading because of the excruciating pains and pressure on the left-eye. 
"My eyes always pains me because if I want to read water will be coming out from my eyes and I can not use my right-eye. It is only the left-eye I use in the day and in the night. 
"In the class I seat in the front-row so I can see because if I sit at the back I can not see," Gospel cried.


He wished to be free from the disease but his parents' financial status could not guarantee as he now hopes for a miracle.


Hear him, "My parents have gone everywhere. They took me to hospitals in Akwa Ibom State and Calabar, they have even taken me to where I was given leaves and to churches for prayers but no help. They do not have money again and they can not take me to anywhere again for treatment and this eye is really paining me. 
I pray that God should keep this side of the eye to use and see. I don't want to be blind," Gospel said as tears flowed down his cheek.
As he hopes for a miracle, Gospel called on the Government through the Chairman of Nsit Ibom Local Government and other well-wishers to come to his assistance as he only hopes on God to use government and public individuals to bring solution to him.
"Please, I am asking Mr. Udom Emmanuel, our Governor to come to my assistance as my parents don't have money again to take me to hospital. 
"I want to see like other children so I can perform well in school and prepare for my Secondary School," Gospel Henry appealed.



No comments:

Post a Comment

youtube